Why should we CPAs spend time looking at pop psychology? Here’s five reasons:
- To understand people better at a general level.
- To better deal with really difficult situations. These can be caused by staff or managers. Such situations can even be caused by clients or your audit partners sometimes. (Did I really say that? Yep. I did.)
- Because you don’t have the time, money, or interest to get a PhD in psychology in order to understand people better.
- Because CPAs function better with a well-rounded, general understanding in lots of fields of knowledge.
- Because, quite frankly, we CPAs often need a bit of help with getting our analytical brain refocused to understand that emotional, right-brain stuff.
As a result, I will start discussing some books I have read that might be of help to you. There are wonderful resources available that are understandable by a layperson.